28 noiembrie 2012

Pride & Prejudice


Elizabeth Bennet: I could more easily forgive his vanity, if he had not wounded mine. 



Elizabeth Bennet: He looks miserable, poor soul. 
Charlotte Lucas: Miserable he may be, but poor he most certainly is not. 
Elizabeth Bennet: Tell me. 
Charlotte Lucas: 10,000 a year and he owns half of Derbyshire. 
Elizabeth Bennet: The miserable half?



Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony. 
Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand. 
Mr. Darcy: I love you. 



Mrs. Bennet: Have you no consideration for my nerves? 
Mr. Bennet: You mistake me, my dear. I have the utmost respect for your nerves. They've been my constant companion these twenty years. 



Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. 



Mr. Bennet: Your mother insists on you marrying Mr. Collins... 
Mrs. Bennet: Yes! Or I'll never see her again! 
Mr. Bennet: Well, Lizzy, from this day henceforth it seems you must be a stranger to one of your parents... 
Mrs. Bennet: Who will maintain you when your father's gone? 
Mr. Bennet: Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins... and I will never see you again if you do. 
Mrs. Bennet: Mr. Bennet! 



Elizabeth Bennet: And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love? 
Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love. 
Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead.
Mr. Darcy: So what do you recommend to encourage affection? 
Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.


Un comentariu:

Tu ce părere ai?

Ti-a placut? Transmite mai departe!